Monday, January 11, 2010

King Ranch Chicken Casserole

I recently purchased this cookbook and have been very pleased with what I've made so far! The potpie on the cover was delicious and the Ham & Egg Casserole for breakfast on Sunday was great too! However, the King Ranch Chicken Casserole was a huge hit the other night for dinner!!! I didn't take any pictures to share, wish I had, so here is the recipe instead. I seem to have trouble actually measuring anything that I have to cut so I'm going to add what I actually did in GREEN. This really was YUMMY!
What do you need??
1 C onion, diced
(diced up 1 huge Vidalia onion)

1 C green pepper, diced
(diced up a really ginormous pepper)

8 oz pkg sliced mushrooms
(sliced an entire pkg......I really, really like them!)

1/4 C butter
10 3/4 oz cream of mushroom soup
10 3/4 oz cream of chicken soup
10 oz can tomatoes with chilis
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T chili powder
1 T chicken broth
12 (6inch) corn tortillas, torn into quarters...oops, forgot to quarter
3 C cooked chicken, diced, and divided
(just diced an ENTIRE pkg of chicken breasts...way more than 3 C)
16 oz pkg shredded cheddar cheese, divided
(actually used the Mexican mix instead)

How to put it together:
Saute onion, pepper, and mushrooms in butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add soups, tomatoes, garlic, chili powder, and broth; heat until bubbly and set aside.

Arrange half the tortilla pieces in a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish; top with half the chicken, half the sauce and half the cheese. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees (well...I had to cook at 176 Celsius) for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Serves 6.

I also need to THANK my husband for putting up with my love for mushrooms. He despises them, but he puts up with me cooking them! Sarah is with me on the mushroom love so at least it is not all for me:) He nonchalantly picks them out into a huge pile and saves them for me (or Sarah)...what a guy!!! I found a kit the other day for growing your own mushrooms...he put his foot down on that one. I thought it sounded like a fantastic idea!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I used to make that all the time! It's yummy!